53122 – Painters, sculptors and other visual artists



53122 – Painters, sculptors and other visual artists
Painters, sculptors and other visual artists create original paintings, drawings, sculptures, engravings and other artistic works. They are usually self-employed. This unit group also includes art instructors and teachers, who are usually employed by art schools.

Index of titles
Animal art painter
Animal art sculptor
Art instructor
Art instructor (except primary, secondary, post-secondary education)
Art teacher (except primary, secondary and post-secondary education)
Artistic painter
Artistic printmaker
Charcoal artist
Clay modeller
Decorations painter - visual arts
Etcher - visual arts
Ice sculptor
Ink sketcher
Inuit art sculptor
Landscape painter
Lithographic artist
Maritime art painter
Metal sculptor
Monument sculptor
Mural landscape artist
Mural painter
Oil painter
Painter - visual arts
Painting teacher
Plastic arts artist
Portrait painter
Printmaker - visual arts
Printmaking teacher
Scenery painter
Scenic painter - visual arts
Sculpture teacher (except primary, secondary, post-secondary education)
Sculpturing teacher (except primary, secondary, post-secondary education)
Silhouette artist
Silkscreen artist
Video artist
Visual arts artist
Visual arts teacher (except primary, secondary, post-secondary education)
Wood block artist
Wood sculptor


Main duties
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Create drawings, paintings and other artwork using oils, pastels, watercolours, charcoal, ink and other media.
Create sculptures, statues and other three-dimensional artwork by shaping, carving and working with materials such as clay, ice, paper, stone, wood or metal.
Art instructors and teachers
Teach students the techniques and methods of drawing, painting, sculpting and other forms of artistic expression.


Employment requirements
Creative ability and talent, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, and knowledge of the safe use of materials, tools and equipment are required. Art programs are offered at universities, colleges and private art schools.
A college diploma in fine arts techniques may be required.
Art instructors and teachers may be required to have a university degree or college diploma in a field related to art.


Additional information
Artisans and craftspersons (53124)
Graphic designers and illustrators (52120)
Fine arts professor - university (in 41200 University professors and lecturers)
Fine arts teacher - college level (in 41210 College and other vocational instructors)
Art teacher - secondary school (in 41220 Secondary school teachers)
Art teacher - elementary school (in 41221 Elementary school and kindergarten teachers)