41301 – Therapists in counselling and related specialized therapies



41301 – Therapists in counselling and related specialized therapies
Therapists in counselling and related specialized therapies assist individuals and groups of clients to identify, understand and overcome personal problems and achieve personal objectives. They can be specialized to work on specific problems and they may practice psychotherapy. They are employed by counselling centres, social service agencies, group homes, government agencies, family therapy centres, and educational, health care and rehabilitation facilities, or they may work in private practice.


Index of titles
Addictions counsellor
Alcohol addiction counsellor
Art therapist
Art therapists' supervisor
Art therapy consultant
Art therapy teacher (except education)
Behavioural consultant
Behavioural therapist
Bereavement counsellor
Child and family counsellor
Child and youth counsellor
Children's counsellor
Clinical counsellor
Community mental health counsellor
Counselling program supervisor
Counselling therapist
Counsellor for persons who are intellectually impaired
Couples therapist
Crisis counsellor
Dance therapist
Dance therapists' supervisor
Dance therapy researcher
Dance-movement therapist
Dance-movement therapy researcher
Disability consultant
Drama therapist
Drama therapists' supervisor
Drug addiction counsellor
Eating disorder therapist
Family counsellor
Family planning counsellor
Family therapist
Gambling addictions counsellor
Gambling addictions therapist
Grief counsellor
Group home counsellor
Human relations officer - family and children's services
Human relations officer - family therapy
Marital counsellor
Marriage and family therapist
Marriage consultant
Marriage counsellor
Marriage therapist
Mental health counsellor
Movement therapist
Music therapist
Music therapists' supervisor
Music therapy researcher
Play therapist
Preretirement counsellor
Psychoeducational consultant
Registered clinical counsellor
Registered dance therapist
Registered family therapist
Registered marriage and family therapist
Registered marriage therapist
Sex therapist
Special needs counsellor
Spontaneous art teacher - therapy
Welfare organization counsellor


Main duties
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Interview clients, prepare case histories and assess problems
Develop and implement counselling and intervention programs to assist clients in determining goals and means of attaining them
Counsel clients, provide therapy and mediation services, and facilitate group sessions
Liaise with community agencies or partners, and identify additional or alternative services and provide referrals
Evaluate the effectiveness of counselling programs and interventions, and clients' progress in resolving identified problems and movement toward defined objectives
Follow up on results of counselling programs and clients' adjustments
Prepare assessment, progress, follow-up and court reports
May supervise other counsellors, social service staff and assistants
May provide public education and consultation to other professionals or groups regarding counselling services, issues and methods
May provide witness testimony in court proceedings
May conduct research, publish research papers, educational texts and articles and deliver presentations at conferences
May collaborate with employee assistance programs or with government organizations in health and safety or with victims of crime
May participate in fundraising activities.


Employment requirements
A bachelor's or a master's degree in the field of counselling, therapy, mental health, psychology or a related social service discipline is required and a period of supervised clinical work with clients may be required.
A master’s degree in the field of therapy is required for art therapist, music therapist, and dance therapists.
Membership with a provincial or federal association is usually required by employers.
Registration with a regulatory body is required in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick for counselling therapists.
To practise psychotherapy, a permit is required in Quebec and registration with the appropriate regulatory body is required in Ontario.
In Quebec, registration with a regulatory body is required for marriage and family therapists, psychoeducators and sexologists and criminologists.


Additional information
Counselling therapists usually become specialized in a particular area through continual training and experience.
Progression to social service management positions is possible with additional training and experience.


Educational counsellors (41320)
Career development practitioners and career counsellors (except education) (41321)
Kinesiologists and other professional occupations in therapy and assessment (31204)
Managers in social, community and correctional services (40030)
Social and community service workers (42201)
Social workers (41300)