21112 – Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialists



21112 – Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialists
Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialists provide assistance and advice to farmers on all aspects of farm management, cultivation, fertilization, harvesting, soil erosion and composition, disease prevention, nutrition, crop rotation and marketing. They are employed by businesses, institutions and governments that assist the farming community, or they may be self-employed.


Index of titles
Acreage-quota assignment officer
Agricultural advisor
Agricultural consultant
Agricultural extension supervisor
Agricultural livestock specialist
Agricultural representative
Agricultural soil and crop specialist
Agricultural specialist
Consulting agrologist
Crop specialist
Demonstrator - Department of Agriculture
District agricultural specialist
District agronomist
Extension service agronomist
Farm management consultant
Farming consultant
Field service adviser - agriculture
Field service agent
Field service agent - agriculture
Government agricultural service district representative
Government agricultural service representative
Growers' advisor
Irrigation consultant - agriculture
Livestock specialist
Professional agrologist (P.Ag.)
Sales agronomist
Soil conservationist
Soil fertility expert


Main duties
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Provide counselling and advisory services to farmers on crop cultivation and fertilization, harvesting, animal and poultry care, disease prevention, farm management, farm financing, marketing and other agricultural subjects
Prepare and conduct advisory information sessions and lectures for farmers and other groups
Conduct research, analyze agricultural data and prepare research reports
Liaise with researchers, educators and government or business managers on matters pertaining to farming and agriculture
Maintain records of services provided and the effects of advice given
May operate unmanned aerial vehicle/drone to map drainage, plant seeds, analyze crop health and identify areas of stress and evenly spray fertilizers or pesticides.


Employment requirements
A bachelor's or master's degree in agriculture or in a related science is required.
Membership or eligibility for membership in a provincial institute of agrology is usually required.
In Quebec, membership in the Ordre professionnel des agronomes is mandatory.


Additional information
Agricultural representatives, consultants and specialists may specialize in specific aspects of agriculture such as animal science, field crops, horticulture, soil science, irrigation or drainage, farm management, marketing, agricultural economics, land use, and environmental management, appraisal or extension and education.
Progression to management positions is possible with experience.


Agricultural programs manager - government services; agricultural policy director - government services (in 40011 Government managers - economic analysis, policy development and program administration)
Agricultural representatives director (in 20011 Architecture and science managers)
Agrology technician (in 22110 Biological technologists and technicians)
Biologists and related scientists (21110)
Landscape and horticulture technicians and specialists (22114)
Agricultural engineer (in 21399 Other professional engineers)