21109 – Other professional occupations in physical sciences



21109 – Other professional occupations in physical sciences
Professionals in other physical sciences occupations conduct theoretical and applied research in fields of physical science. Metallurgists, soil scientists and physical scientists and researchers are included in this unit group. They are employed by governments, educational institutions and a wide range of industrial establishments.


Index of titles
Ballistics examiner
Extractive metallurgist
Firearms examiner
Firearms expert
Materials engineering scientist
Materials scientist
Physical metallurgist
Research metallurgist
Research scientist - ceramics
Research scientist - composite materials
Soil scientist


Main duties
This group performs some or all of the following duties:

Conduct studies into the properties and production of metals and alloys.

Soil scientists
Conduct research into the composition, distribution and evolution of soils.

Material scientists
Conduct research into the properties, composition and production of materials such as ceramics and composite materials.

Command, pilot or serve as crew members of a spacecraft to conduct scientific experiments and research, and participate in space missions as mission specialists to maintain spacecraft, install and repair space station equipment and launch and recapture satellites.


Employment requirements
A bachelor's degree in metallurgy, physics, chemistry, or a related physical science discipline is required.
A master's or doctoral degree is usually required for employment as a research scientist.
Advanced degrees in a broad range of applied science areas, such as engineering or medicine or licences may be required for some occupations in this unit group.


Additional information
Mobility between specializations in this group may be possible with experience.
Mobility is possible with experience, to other fields of physical science or to management or regulatory program management.


Air pilots, flight engineers and flying instructors (72600)
Architecture and science managers (20011)
Chemists (21101)
Metallurgical and materials engineers (21322)