52121 – Interior designers and interior decorators



52121 – Interior designers and interior decorators
Interior designers and interior decorators conceptualize and produce aesthetic, functional and safe designs for interior spaces in residential, commercial, cultural, institutional and industrial buildings. They are employed by architectural and interior design firms, retail establishments, construction companies, hospitals, airlines, hotel and restaurant chains, and other establishments, or they may be self-employed.

Index of titles
Aircraft interior designer
Building space planner
Business aircraft interior designer
Certified interior designer
Colour consultant - home decorating
Decorating consultant
Designer - interior design
Green design consultant - interior design
Home decorating consultant
Home decorator
Home organizer
Home stager
Home staging consultant
Interior decorating consultant
Interior decorator
Interior design consultant
Interior design project manager
Interior design technician
Interior designer
Interior designer assistant
Interior space designer
Kitchen designer
Licensed interior designer
Office space planner
Registered interior designer
Retail space planner
Space management consultant


Main duties
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Consult with clients to determine needs, preferences, safety requirements and purpose of space
Develop detailed plans and 3-D models showing arrangement of walls, dividers, displays, lighting and other fixtures using computer-assisted design (CAD) software and graphics software
Develop plans, elevations, cross sections and detailed drawings, and advise on selection of colours, finishes and materials, floor and wall coverings, window treatments, interior and exterior lighting, furniture and other items, taking into account ergonomic and occupational health standards
Estimate costs and materials required and may advise on leasing, real estate and marketing
Prepare plans and specifications for the final interior designs in accordance with current practices and codes
Work in a multidisciplinary environment
May direct site work crews and subcontractors.


Employment requirements
Interior designers
A university degree or college diploma in interior design is usually required.
The National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) examination may be required after six years of combined study and experience.
Certification by a provincial institute or association is required to use protected titles related to interior designers in all provinces except Prince Edward Island.
Interior decorators
A college certificate or diploma in interior decoration is usually required.
Membership in the Canadian Decorators' Association is available to qualified decorators.


Additional information
Interior designers are experts in the area of interior architecture, construction materials and building codes. They may specialize in designing interiors for residential, commercial, institutional, cultural and industrial buildings and for aircraft, ships or trains, trade shows and exhibitions. Interior decorators may specialize in decorating residential or commercial interior spaces, home staging, colour consulting and home organizing.


Painters and decorators (except interior decorators) (73112)
Theatre, fashion, exhibit and other creative designers (53123)
Industrial designers (22211)
Graphic designers and illustrators (52120)