41403 – Social policy researchers, consultants and program officers



41403 – Social policy researchers, consultants and program officers
Social policy researchers, consultants and program officers conduct research, develop policy and implement or administer programs in areas such as consumer affairs, employment, home economics, immigration, law enforcement, corrections, human rights, housing, labour, family services, foreign aid and international development. They are employed by government departments and agencies, hospitals, educational institutions, consulting establishments, professional associations, research institutes, non-government organizations and international organizations or they may be self-employed.


Index of titles
Aboriginal affairs development officer
Aboriginal affairs officer
Aboriginal employment policy officer
Aboriginal employment program officer
Aboriginal issues lobbyist
Adoption project officer
Adviser for the integration of persons with disabilities
Affirmative action advisor
Child care licensing officer
Child welfare policy analyst
Child-care programs planning officer
Child-care services liaison officer
Citizenship officer
Community organizer
Community policing program consultant
Community social development officer
Consumer advisor
Correctional service policy consultant
Employment equity adviser - social policy
Employment equity consultant
Employment equity policy analyst
Employment equity policy consultant
Employment initiatives coordinator
Employment insurance policy analyst
Employment insurance services adviser
Employment standards specialist
Experimental home economist
Extension home economist
Family violence prevention program adviser
Field representative - housing
Food consultant - home economics
Home economics consultant
Home economist
Home economist - consumer association
Housing policy analyst
Human Rights Commission officer
Human Rights Commission officers supervisor
Human rights officer
Human rights officer - government services
Human rights specialist
Immigrant settlement liaison officer
Immigration and citizenship consultant
Immigration and demographic analysis officer
Immigration consultant
Immigration policy advisor
Immigration policy analyst
Immigration policy consultant - non-government
Immigration settlement practitioner
Income maintenance program officer
Indigenous affairs officer
International aid and development project officer
International aid and development researcher
International relations specialist
Job creation and employment services evaluation officer
Labour affairs officer - labour policy
Labour market analyst
Labour market information officer
Labour market policy officer
Labour mobility policy consultant
Labour policy analyst
Labour policy officer
Labour standards analyst
Multiculturalism project officer
Native affairs officer
Native employment program officer
Native issues lobbyist
Occupational supply analyst
Peace activist
Peace researcher
Political organizer
Poverty researcher
Psychology assistant (except university)
Public assistance adviser
Public housing officer
Public housing policy analyst
Public opinion survey researcher
Public rights coordinator
Race relations officer
Refugee affairs program officer
Research home economist
Settlement counsellor
Settlement liaison officer
Settlement practitioner
Social and community care licensing officer
Social assistance advisor
Social assistance policy analyst
Social development officer
Social issues researcher
Social policy advisor
Social policy analyst
Social policy consultant
Social policy planning consultant
Social policy researcher
Social program officer
Social researcher
Social science researcher
Social service program officer
Social services consultant
Social services planner
Social services planning consultant
Social services program officers supervisor
Social services program planner
Social survey researcher (except statistician)
Social survey researchers supervisor
Social welfare advisor
Social welfare research officer
Socio-economic research and planning officer
Status of women's directorate policy analyst
Textile and clothing consultant - home economics
Visible minorities policy officer
Welfare policy analysts supervisor
Women's employment policy consultant
Women's issues lobbyist
Women's program coordinator
Women's shelter program coordinator
Women's status policy consultant
Workers' compensation officer
Workers' compensation policy analyst


Main duties
This group performs some or all of the following duties:

Social policy researchers
Develop social programs and policies, social legislation, or proposals based on demographic, social and economic research, analysis and the evaluation of pilot projects.

Home economists
Advise and assist consumers on the selection and proper use of food products, textiles and other consumer goods and teach household management skills. They may also provide consultative services in the areas of development and promotion of new food products, retail buying, social program administration and small business endeavours.

Housing policy analysts
Identify and assess economic, demographic, and social developments and report on their implications for housing policy.

Immigration and citizenship consultants
Conduct research, advise clients and prepare immigration, citizenship and visas applications. They may also represent clients at tribunals and before administrative bodies.

International aid and development project officers
Plan, organize and administer foreign aid and international development policies and programs.

Social survey researchers
Develop questionnaires, coordinate and conduct surveys, analyse data, and compile and interpret statistics on social issues and policy areas.

Social services planners
Conduct research, develop social programs, assess, coordinate and develop awareness of existing social services, and ensure that duplication of services is avoided. They may also work with land use planners to determine the impact of major land use plans for transportation, housing and recreational facilities projects.


Employment requirements
A bachelor's degree or college diploma in a social science or related discipline, or in business administration is usually required.
A master's degree in a social science or related discipline or in business administration may be required.
Home economists require a bachelor's degree in home economics, home economics education, human ecology, nutrition and food sciences or family and consumer studies.
Registration is available, but voluntary, for home economists but the use of the designation "Professional Home Economist" is regulated in New Brunswick, Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta, and "Registered Professional Home Economist" in British Columbia.
Registration with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council is required for regulated Canadian immigration consultants.


Additional information
Progression to managerial positions is possible with experience.


Business development officers and market researchers and analysts (41402)
Economists and economic policy researchers and analysts (41401)
Government managers - health and social policy development and program administration (40010)
Health policy researchers, consultants and program officers (41404)
Non-governmental organization (NGO) manager (in 40030 Managers in social, community and correctional services )
Home economics teacher - secondary school (in 41220 Secondary school teachers)
Social and community service workers (42201)
Social workers (41300)