21399 – Other professional engineers


21399 – Other professional engineers
Other professional engineers include agricultural and bio-resource engineers, biomedical engineers, engineering physicists and engineering scientists, marine and naval engineers, textile engineers and other specialized engineering occupations.


Index of titles
Agricultural engineer
Agronomy engineer
Agroprocessing engineer
Bioelectrical engineer
Biomechanical engineer
Biomedical engineer
Biomedical engineer - research and development
Bioresource engineer
Clinical biomedical engineer
Dairy plant engineer
Engineer in agronomy
Engineering physicist
Engineering scientist
Food processing engineer
Food technology engineer
Marine engineer
Marine systems engineer
Naval architect
Naval engineer
Ship construction engineer
Shipbuilding engineer
Textile engineer


Main duties
This group performs some or all of the following duties:

Agricultural and bio-resource engineers
Design and develop machinery, structures, equipment and systems related to agriculture and food processing.

Biomedical engineers
Design and develop medical diagnostic and clinical instrumentation, equipment and procedures; develop devices to assist persons with disabilities; advise hospital administrators on planning, acquisition and use of medical equipment; and modify and install or supervise installation of equipment.

Engineering physicists and engineering scientists
Conduct research, develop processes, programs and equipment to expand fundamental knowledge in the applied sciences and engineering and to support advanced engineering and scientific applications.

Marine and naval engineers
Design and develop marine vessels and floating structures and associated marine power plants, propulsion systems and related systems and equipment and oversee the building, maintenance and repair of vessels and marine systems.

Textile engineers
Design and develop processes, equipment and procedures for the production of fibres, yarns and textiles.


Employment requirements
A bachelor's degree in an appropriate engineering discipline is required.
A master's degree or doctorate in a related engineering discipline may be required.
Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports, and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, and after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.


Additional information
Engineers often work in a multidisciplinary environment and acquire knowledge and skills through work experience that may allow them to practise in associated areas of science, engineering, sales, marketing or management.
Supervisory and senior positions in this unit group require experience.
There is limited mobility between the engineering specializations included in this unit group.


Biochemical and biotechnical engineer (in 21320 Chemical engineers )
Engineering managers (20010)
Marine engineer officer - water transport (in 72603 Engineer officers, water transport)
Physicist (in 21100 Physicists and astronomers)