51114 – Translators, terminologists and interpreters



51114 – Translators, terminologists and interpreters
Translators translate written material from one language to another. Interpreters translate oral communication from one language to another during speeches, meetings, conferences, debates and conversation, or in court or before administrative tribunals. Terminologists conduct research to itemize terms connected with a certain field, define them and find equivalents in another language. Sign language interpreters use sign language to translate spoken language and vice versa during meetings, conversations, television programs or in other instances. Translators, terminologists and interpreters are employed by government, private translation and interpretation agencies, in-house translation services, large private corporations, international organizations and the media, or they may be self-employed. Sign language interpreters work in schools and courts, and for social service agencies, interpretation services, government services and television stations, or they may be self-employed.


Index of titles
American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter
Certified interpreter (C.Int.)
Certified terminologist (C.Term.)
Certified translator (C.Tr.)
Community interpreter
Conference interpreter
Consecutive interpreter
Court interpreter
Cultural interpreter
Cultural or international adaptation specialist
Deaf interpreter
Educational interpreter
Elbow interpreter
Escort interpreter
Foreign broadcast translator
Foreign news translator
Interpreter for persons who are deaf
Jurilinguist translator
Legal terminologist
Legal translator
Literary translator
Localiser - linguistics
Medical terminologist
Medical translator
Oral interpreter
Quebec Sign Language (LSQ) interpreter
Relay interpreter
Reviser - translation
Scientific translator
Sign language interpreter
Sign language platform interpreter
Simultaneous interpreter
Tactile interpreter
Technical translator
Terminology advisor
Translator adaptor
Visual language interpreter


Main duties
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Translators and translator-revisers
Translate a variety of written material such as correspondence, reports, legal documents, technical specifications and textbooks from one language to another, maintaining the content, context and style of the original material to the greatest extent possible
Localize software and accompanying technical documents to adapt them to another language and culture
Revise and correct translated material
May train and supervise other translators.

Identify the terminology used in a field of activity
Conduct terminological research on a given subject or in response to inquiries for the preparation of glossaries, terminology banks, technological files, dictionaries, lexicons and resource centres, and add to terminological databases
Manage, update and circulate linguistic information collected from terminological databases
Provide consultative services to translators, interpreters and technical writers preparing legal, scientific or other documents that require specialized terminologies.

Interpret oral communication from one language to another aloud or using electronic equipment, either simultaneously (as the speaker speaks), consecutively (after the speaker speaks) or whispered (speaking in a low whisper to one or two persons as the speaker is talking)
Provide interpretation services in court or before administrative tribunals
May interpret language for individuals and small groups travelling in Canada and abroad
May interpret for persons speaking an Aboriginal or foreign language in a variety of circumstances
May train other interpreters.

Sign language interpreters
Translate sign language to a spoken language and vice versa either simultaneously or consecutively.


Employment requirements
A university degree in translation with a specialization in translation, interpretation or terminology in two languages including at least one of the two official languages or a university degree in a related discipline such as languages, linguistics, philology and courses in linguistic transfer and two years' experience as a full-time translator working in two languages, at least one of which is an official language or five years of experience as a full-time translator working in two languages, at least one of which is an official language, are required.
Sign language interpreters require a college training program or a university certificate in sign language interpretation.
Certification on dossier or by examination from the Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council (CTTIC) may be required for translators, terminologists and interpreters.
Sign language interpreters may require a certificate or certification evaluation in LSQ or ASL.
Fluency in three languages is usually required for translators or interpreters working in an international context.
Membership in a provincial or territorial association of translators, interpreters and terminologists may be required.
Membership in a provincial association of sign language interpreters may be required.
Use of professional titles may be regulated in some provinces.


Additional information
Sign language interpreters work in French and Langue des signes québécoise (LSQ) or in English and American Sign Language (ASL).
Translators, terminologists and interpreters specialize in two languages, such as French and English, the official languages of Canada. They may also specialize in another language and one of the official languages. The main areas of specialization include administrative, literary, scientific and technical translation. Interpreters may specialize in court, parliamentary or conference interpretation.


Authors and writers (except technical) (51111)
Editors (51110)
Language school instructor (in 41210 College and other vocational instructors)
Linguist (in 41409 Other professional occupations in social science)
Utility locator (in 74204 Utility maintenance workers )